Enjoy today's guest post from Betsey & Becca. Betsey was actually one of my Junior League provisionals two years ago and we have kept in contact since.
We were so thrilled when Megan from, Pretty In Pink Megan invited us to do a guest post for her! We are daily followers of her fabulous blog! We have been blogging for a few months, but mainly just friends and family knew how to find us. At Megan's suggestion, we have turned on the ability to have followers and comments and decided to be a little more social! We have backgrounds in Interior Design and Fashion, and have independently worked for and helped multiple friends and clients in the past. This new year will bring in many new interior projects that we could not be more excited about. We are most excited about working together and putting our ideas into people's homes. We have so many exciting new things to share, and hope you will visit our blog for updates!
Today we will be sharing a few of our favorite "transitional pieces" for people just starting out trying to furnish and decorate a home. The largest mistake we see our younger clients making is buying filler--decor purchased solely to fill up space. Our best advice is to buy slowly and only buy what you love.....and what can be repurposed down the road. NEVER buy something just to give an empty space company. Many of the following suggestions are purchases that can be made very budget consciously, but they all have multiple functionality to make sure they get lots of love!
1. A great big mirror can make a small room seem much bigger, and it is a chic way to dress up any space. Here are a few of our favorite options, but we also love unique finds from yard sales, estate sales and antique shops. Another trick is to find a cool, old mirror and replace your standard bath mirrors (or, hang it in the middle of a large regulation bathroom piece) for an unexpected pizazz. (side note: we love mirrored furniture as well, and it too serves to make a space look larger than it really is! try a mirrored chest in a bedroom as a "tv stand" or mirrored bedside tables.)
2. Bar carts are a great way to have a fully functional little mini bar in your home--and they make a great design statement, too!! They can stand alone, or be used behind a couch or settee or even as a side table, later! We also think they look super cute in a dressy office for extra storage or as a perfume and jewelry table in a closet or bathroom. Think of them as side tables with style! (if you are lucky enough to have a pool or cool outdoor area, don't forget them there, either!) Alot of them out there are pricey but don't let that scare you, reasonable ones do exist and don't forget an old refurbished one that can be "fixed"-up sometimes turn out the best.
3. Ottomans are one of the most functional pieces in a home, as they can clearly be paired with a cool chair for their implied use:), but they also make great coffee tables. We love them in bedrooms, for seating at the end of a bed, and they can also be a great choice for a pop of color in an entry way or parlor. We aren't picky when it comes to their size or shape--we love big, square ottomans just as much as X-benches and poofs. (and extra points if they open for storage!)
Our favorite customizable ottomans come from Anna at My Chic Nest (we can't wait to meet you in a few weeks, Anna) but if you're feeling really crafty, try this idea for a cool look.
5. A great desk or secretary is always a smart purchase, bc though it's obvious location is a home office, we love them just as much in dens, dining rooms and bedrooms. There are endless options for placement of a cool secretary, and we have even seen them repurposed into mini bars or china cabinets.
6. A cool chandelier or light fixture can make a room, and buying pieces that you love now ensures many years of love. Chandeliers were typically used in formal living rooms, but now we love them in nurseries, kitchens, bathrooms and closets, too! Take a look at a few of our favorites here, here and here to see how much impact and drama they could add! So go take those old fixtures and ceiling fans down and replace them with a new fixture that will change the entire feel of the room!
So there you have it for our best suggestions on furniture for now AND later! Please come visit us at our blog, or contact us at email@example.com for a copy of our portfolio or references.
Betsey and Becca